Saturday, January 28, 2023

 

Oh, dear. Again, no knitting. Nor much of anything else, either. I’m reading a book about the history of genetics, but that hardly counts as activity. What a lot was going on, all unbeknownst to me – principally but by no means entirely, the discovery of the double helix – during the seven years of my adult independence, four at Oberlin, three in Glasgow. Then marriage, motherhood, and here I am.

 

Wordle: Yesterday’s word was WORRY. (I’ve already forgotten today’s -- other Wordlers agree with me that each day’s word, once solved, is strangely difficult to remember.) My preceding line had been LORRY. Another possibility – except that my starters had eliminated S – would have been SORRY. Those are the three I mentioned yesterday in which, I think, the vowel is pronounced differently each time. 

We all got threes and fours today.  Alexander, his wife Ketki,  his sister Big Rachel, and his friend Mark all got three. So did my brother-in-law Roger. Thomas and Theo shared four with me.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Reading about genetics sounds like an (interesting) activity to me, Jean. Certainly exercising the brain.
    Your comments on pronunciation and Tamar's yesterday brought me out of lurkdom.
    I'm fascinated by pronunciation difference in the various parts of UK. Scots certainly differentiate between wear and where but some English accents don't.
    The one that amuses me most is Wales and whales.
    Regarding Jean's comment today, I would only differentiate the worry pronunciation, the other 2 are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 PM

    The anonymous comment above is from Dawn in NL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou7:11 PM

    I'm with Dawn - reading about genetics sounds like more brain activity than my current stockinette sleeve! Also, I had to look up 'Cullen skink' - the explanation I saw also mentioned finnan haddie, which required more research, as my only knowledge of it is Cole Porter's My Hart Belongs to Daddy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were quoting Alan Bennett the other day about thinking he would recover from the ills of ageing. That hip operation offers the chance to regain some lost mobility, which has to be a good thing surely? David Attenborough was on "Winterwatch" the other evening promoting his new series. I think he has had two new knees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed your exact path to Worry on Wordle yesterday, right down to the already eliminated “S” to eliminate sorry as a choice so I got it in 4. Today both my husband and I got the word in 2, that’s never happened to us both at the same time before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:08 PM

    It must have helped to have common double consonants - such as ‘r’. Not so much if those had been ‘z’ probably? Jean, try not to dwell too much on the hip surgery - only enough to see to it that you will have the best possible outcome: a very good doctor that you trust, good hospital, plenty of post-op support, all worrisome questions/details asked and satisfactorily answered, then focus on today (as much as possible) not tomorrow. Nothing in life is certain, of course, but a deteriorating hip is more likely to cause severe ill health than a well-researched joint surgery. You are Not being irresponsible to do this, given the fact that there are no known drawbacks, such as other complicating health issues, which would become known during the pre-op process. Take it step by step. My experience with highly trained and dedicated doctors and staff has been amazing. Chloe

    ReplyDelete