Wednesday, January 25, 2023

 

A pleasant day. No walk, but some knitting. I’ve finished the left front of Fergus’ sweater and slid the stitches along to be ready to start the other side. Not much, but something.

 I think I’ve pretty well decided to go ahead and pay to have my hip replaced privately. Lying in bed this morning – a moment I often find conducive to productive thought – I remembered an ISA account that ought to cover it. In the general financial upheaval that followed my husband’s death, it got transferred into strange hands and since then has swallowed its own tail (=hasn’t paid interest into the general accounts). Helen’s husband David has spent an heroic day trying to gain access to it. Now I need to ring up our doctor and ask to be referred. I will allow myself two or three weeks in that highly comfortable old folks’ home where I spent a fortnight last May. They’re good on convalescence (physiotherapy, visits from doctors). What is to become of my CATS?

ISA means tax-free, so I don’t need to worry about having more or less forgotten about it. We’re in the midst of income tax this month. I feel rather sorry for Mr Zahawi (a remark unintelligible except to British readers). I, too, have had to pay penalties, after the upheaval mentioned above. And he’s a busy man.

Kirsten, the difficulty at my age when it comes to the "rainy day" issue, is not knowing how much to allow for what could turn out to be years of terminal care. I firmly believe that old folks ought to pay for it if they can, rather than relying on the state. But I would also like to leave (the value of) this house to my children. Inheritance tax is heavy here, but the government makes considerable allowance for a family house passed to direct descendants. It's probably simpler not to think about such things. 

 

Wordle: I failed. First time this year. Theo and Big Rachel did it in three. Thomas offered me some comfort by scoring six.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Good decision about your hip . I had a hysterectomy privately a few years ago as the wait list for NHS was so long ( north of Scotland) and time is precious as you get older . Never regretted that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, paying for full care, even part care, is monumentally expensive. But how many weeks of full care will the hip op cost? I don't know how the hip or weekly care fees are, but doing that sum might be useful. Especially if the op delays eventually needing care by that many weeks. That's how I see it, but of course it is a personal decision I don't want to be impertinent. So apologies if I am saying too much and I'll hold my peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In England care fees are based on income, or savings amounts. It is a complicated system, not helped much by Social services. Am I right in thinking that it is different in Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go ahead and do it! Your children will feel terrible if you don't in order to leave them more money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:59 AM

    Here there is no inheritance tax when the house has been bought more than ten years ago and the testator (?) has lived there during the last two years. And the allowance for direct descendants is quite high, I think it is 400 000 € per person.
    HIlde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar5:32 AM

    Good going on the cardie!
    Yes, care is expensive; all the more reason to act to prevent the necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Perhaps Archie would stay at your house with the cats.
    Phyllis in Florida, USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:35 PM

    I was thinking of Archie also. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:11 PM

    I'm confident your local family and friends between them can manage to take care of your cats for as long as necessary.Hopefully it would only be two or three weeks.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete