Thursday, January 12, 2023

 

And now the last of Thursday’s light. What is to be done about this? The dead light hangs from above, and ceilings are high around here. Maybe the next time Archie is here…

 

I’ve finished off the loose ends of the hat. Haven’t photographed it. Haven’t knit on.

 

KD’s Allover club has produced an interesting essay by Janine Bajus, the “Feral Knitter”, on colour choices. The technique of choosing a colour scheme from nature has, however,  already been well-explored by Jamieson and Smith, who regularly post pictures of Shetland along with a choice of their own yarns.

 

I’ve finished Prince Harry’s book. It’s very sad. The only mild surprise is the one mentioned yesterday, the fondness expressed for his father the King in contrast to the hostility to his brother. There is an interesting article in the Times this morning by one of my favourite columnists (James Marriott) about how the real threat to the Monarchy may be the increasing unwillingness of people born into it to lift and carry the burden throughout life. Like Harry. Despite – slightly to paraphrase Gilbert and Sullivan – the guarantee of as much as you want to eat.


Wordle: another five for me, another day when we were spread about everywhere. Big Rachel, Alexander, Thomas and Theo distinguished themselves with three. There’s a comment I want to make about the word, but I’ll have forgotten by tomorrow. My line four was brn, brn, brn, brn, grn. I don’t think that’s ever happened before — a complete anagram. And I think my answer for line four was better than the real answer, but I often think that.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, but for the women at least, imagine the pressure to stay as slim as Catherine does, banquets and three children notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got wordle in 2! My starter word today gave me 4 browns and a green, and I happened to choose the correct anagram. But I am more pleased aboit my first ever real socks. They took a year and were both partially frogged three times for heel and toe problems but I've secured the dropped stitches (!) and I've got them on my feet. Hip hip hooray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:45 AM

      Congratulations !, Nothing will stop you now! More socks!

      Delete
  3. Mary Lou1:47 AM

    Do you have a neighbor who might help with the light? That’s a problem, no light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar3:02 AM

    Congratulations all around! Working the ends in is a job, and with all those colors, there had to be extra ends. And KirstenM, well done!
    I also have high ceilings. I am moving toward floor lamps - nice old ones secured with heavy bases. The good ones will take any bulb with a standard base. I also have one modern Ott-type floor lamp. The base is weighted with plaster which is beginning to crumble - someday I will have to think of a way to repair it, because the light is lovely and the bulbs last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:06 AM

    Janine Bajus demonstrated the "choose your colours from a photo" technique, and wrote about it online and in print, before the Shetland yarn company started doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Jean, I was struck by your point about the lessening of desire to become monarchs. As Harry is showing, in modern times there are many attractive alternatives. (Albeit his hinges solely on being part of that monarchy). But still, other than royalty, big stretches of history gave few mass job alternatives other than serf. But not every person is suited. Poor George VI although he did a good job. And William seems to have come to it naturally. Altogether though monarchies - without other interference - may just die a natural death. So much less painful that way. KristenM, I hated my sock class and instantly developed second sock syndrome, but you have me thinking again. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Sorry. WHILE William….makes more sense. Hard to compose or proofread in a small space. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Sorry again. Kirsten not Kristen.

    ReplyDelete