Friday, January 27, 2023

 

A slightly better day, perhaps, activity-wise. No walking (it was cold), but I have nearly finished the other side of the front neck of Fergus’ sweater. Did I mention that, sitting across the table from him at Helen’s delicious birthday lunch on Sunday, I thought again that his shoulders have become too broad to fit into the sweater as presently constituted?

 

Thank you very much indeed for comments on health care yesterday. Anonymous, we are in the perhaps unusual position, these days, of having a GP we’ve known for years. When I talked to him about my hip some months ago, he was keen on the idea of having it done privately, one of the advantages being that he could refer me to a specific surgeon he knew. I want to speak to him again as I go ahead with the idea, no matter how long it takes to get hold of him. And I must make sure that the luxurious nursing home where I spent a fortnight last summer has room to take me in when a date for surgery is fixed. If one can concentrate on the minor problems one can to some extent forget how one fears and dreads surgery.

 

I made Cullen skink for my lunch yesterday – easy, delicious, nourishing. I tried to think – but it is impossible to calculate – how much easier it would be if I could walk. Easier, of course, to move around the kitchen. But I’ll still be 90 years old.

 

Wordle: we’re all back on form today, with a rush of fours, including mine. Alexander thoroughly redeemed himself with a three, and Theo needed five. I had ??.grn,grn,grn,grn in line three. It occurred to me – I’m not absolutely sure this is true – that the word I had entered in that line, and the subsequent one which was right, and another possibility which I couldn’t use because I had already eliminated that letter – all three of those words are pronounced (very slightly) differently.

4 comments:

  1. =Tamar2:58 AM

    If he insists on growing, there's no sense in reknitting. He'll have to wait and settle for a scarf next time there's a win, and the sweater can go to someone who fits it.

    Fascinating three words - will you tell us what the three were tomorrow? I have a guess but don't want to be spoilery.

    Re: pronunciation, I've noticed that the British I've met tend to confuse the words wear, where, were, and we're, pronouncing them identically and choosing the spelling somewhat randomly among the four options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:11 AM

    Tamar,that's an interesting observation. I promise you most British people pronounce these four words differently from each other, and know which is spelled which way! I can see that if someone pronounced them the same, the spellings would be harder to disentangle unless properly taught. I don't think the distinctions are specifically taught as a group (unless perhaps in English As A Foreign Language), because it would not occur to anyone here that there could be a confusion between them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:13 AM

    Oh and how about "weir", as on a river? It is also pronounced slightly differently from the others.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou7:09 PM

    I was raised in New Jersey and find that here in Minnesota people pronounce Mary Marry and Merry all the same.

    ReplyDelete