Saturday, January 07, 2023

 

No knitting again today. I must take myself in hand, urgently.

 

Continued reading of Alan Bennett: “I still have the absurd notion that, as with any other ailment, age and infirmity will run its course and I will recover from it.” Absolutely. He was nearly a decade younger than I am -- than we are -- now, when he wrote that. 

 

However, there has been much knitting-related activity. I went with Helen and David to the Chanel-to-Westwood knitting show at the Dovecot Gallery, as mentioned yesterday. It is very interesting, although the hand-knitting and the machine-based jersey designs don’t mesh very well, exhibition-wise. The latter are often sensational. The other thing that doesn’t mesh very well is viewing from a wheelchair. I would have been better to go with my outdoor walker, which provides a seat for sitting on when required (and also a receptacle for one’s sausages, when required, under the seat).

 

Their next show is going to be Kaffe.

 

The shop had got in a lot of knitting books for the occasion. I saw a copy of Patty Lyons’ “Knitting Bag of Tricks” and, although I agree that the chosen font is a bit feeble, I found it perfectly readable and look forward keenly to the arrival of my copy. I was also struck with “In the Loop: Knitting Now” by Jessica Hemmings. The one copy at the Dovecot was a bit shopworn. The indifferent girl at the till declined to give us 50p off so I went home and bought it from Amazon for half the price. I will report at greater length about both books when I’ve actually got them.

 

Wordle: Three’s and four’s again, with myself, again, in the Four camp. Alexander was another four – he had I had identical line three’s: brn, grn, brn, grn, grn. It was just a matter of transposing the two browns. The three’s were Ketki, Mark, Thomas, and Roger.

3 comments:

  1. =Tamar12:58 AM

    Were there any particular designs that struck your eye at the exhibit? I sometimes find that machine designs are disheartening, as the fineness of the yarns and the multilayer techniques mean they can do designs that would be a tour de force if done by hand.
    Salespeople are not usually allowed to lower prices.
    I think a day or so off is fine, especially when they involve excursions, but it is good not to lose the momentum, so yes, do get back to the hat.
    Some people have managed to come back from infirmity - those who take up exercise and run marathons at eighty, etc. I am not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:04 AM

    I am still in my seventies so I also think I have reason to believe I might rejuvenate myself at some point, but I doubt I will feel that way in my eighties. Although the font isn’t all that bad I think we would all be quite willing to have paid an extra dollar or two for actual black ink for something that is so visual. Maybe they thought the clear, well-drawn pictures would suffice. It doesn’t. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 AM

    Hope you get to see Kaffe, Jean! With your walker! Chloe

    ReplyDelete