Thursday, January 26, 2023

 

Another pleasant day. Again, I didn’t go out – or knit. Helen came, and we dealt with some business, fairly successfully. We pursued the matter of getting my money out of that ISA account. There are some papers to be filled out, which are being sent. We rang up my doctor, who has got to refer me to a hip surgeon – but he’s away on holiday. Try again on Monday. I'm sure anyone in the practice could do it, bot I want to talk to him again. Helen had been to the bank and instructed them to pay my enormous income tax bill – so enormous that when I went on line just now, I wasn’t allowed to pay either Daniella or the accountant. The one will have to wait until tomorrow, the other until Monday. Pretty ridiculous. Helen and Alexander have power of attorney.

 

Thank you for your comments yesterday, about care costs and cats. Yes, Elizabeth, care seems to be free here in Scotland – if you can get it. Towards the end of my husband’s life, he was in what might be described as a holding facility at the Western General. A whole building devoted to the people we hear so much about these days – well enough to be discharged from hospital, but needing care. Eventually he got his care package – two carers, four times a day, all free. He was able, thanks to them, to be at home for the last months of his life, and to die here. And in the holding facility, he had his own room with en suite facilities. He didn’t like it much. I don’t know what the Scottish government does about care in care homes.

 

Wordle: A welcome relief, today, to have something to think about other than arthritic hips and income tax.. It was another tough word. I was very happy to scrape home in six. Alexander failed. Four was the basic score today. Five for Ketki.

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Residential care in Scottish care homes is not free, even if medically necessary (we currently have my mother in law in this position). It has almost the same income and asset assessments as England. You need to have very few assets to qualify for fee free care. You do get a weekly contribution to costs if are is needed. This contribution replaces English attendance allowance.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I was able to refer myself for private healthcare to a Glasgow hospital . There was a list of surgeons for various types of surgery and then phoned hospital and was given an appointment. Very easy .

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'If you can get it' re Care. this is the case now in England, and I'm sure that if Carers were paid a decent wage, there would be more of them available. They do far more than the basic caring, it is often life and death situations that they are thrown into. I'm so glad you managed to have carers at the end. My husband too died at home, with wonderful carers four times a day, and I admire their work so much.

    ReplyDelete