Tuesday, January 03, 2023

 I knit very industriously this morning, and am within a cat’s whisker of the crown shaping of that hat – two or three more rounds. Meanwhile Helen and I have started worrying about when/whether Daniela is coming back. Edinburgh schools start up tomorrow. Her elder son surely needs to be here? Her younger one is likely to lose his nursery place? She is at home in Romania to help with the care of her mother-in-law. Clearly, when she left, she would rather have stayed here looking after me. The mother-in-law has lots of other relatives. We can but wait and worry.

 

What I forgot to mention yesterday is that the winter VK, despite its deficiencies, sent me off in pursuit of Patty Lyons’ new book, “Knitting Bag of Tricks” – illustrated by Franklin Habit, no less. It sounds as if it embodies EZ’s maxim: Look at your knitting. But when I got to Amazon, and started with the one-star recommendations as Archie has taught me to do, I discovered that it is pretty well unreadable because of the wrong type-face on shiny paper. It wasn’t just the one-star reviewers, either. This complaint went right up the chart. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such unanimity. So I didn’t order it. I’d be glad to hear of the experience of any of you who have tried it.

 

Wordle: not without interest, today. We were three’s and four’s again, and again, I was a four. The three’s were Thomas, Mark, and big Rachel. But what I belatedly discovered today is that it’s not much use entering a name. Wordle will accept it (as it will a plural) – but it won’t be right. My starters gave me three browns and a green this morning. Had I persevered, I might have got it in three.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:42 PM

    I have bought Patty Lyon’s book and I love it . Definitely recommend it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:19 PM

    Wordle in 3 for me today. Great way to start the day. Anonymous Janet in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the book and I can see the complaints. I have not found it too hard to read but I do see that the pages are shiny and the typeface isn't very dark. I have used the book only to look up specific things so had not really noticed the problem but for sure it could be easier to read. I put on a light and you have to be careful how you tilt the book or it does reflect a lot. I wonder if a new edition will be coming soon? It's a shame as the book is very useful plus witty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:48 PM

    Wordle in 4 for me today. One sister had it in three and the other scored a two! I had an unlucky first word according to Wordle Bot. Today was the first time I looked at Wordle Bot; it is interesting to see how others tried to solve the puzzle.
    We have a ban on new books in this house but I am always tempted by knitting books. I do find most questions are answered on the internet with helpful videos to boot.
    I hope Daniela returns soon.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:26 PM

    I got it on 2 today. The second time since beginning that I got it in 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar11:40 PM

    Oh dear, the pale typeface strikes again. Some publishers save money by using pale grey instead of black ink, but the shiny paper is expensive, so it must be "art". I hope they do a more legible second edition, or maybe a paperback.

    I was just trying to make a list of DVDs and some copyright dates were just illegible, tiny type on a dark shiny surface with an unnecessary design behind it. Why do they do that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely recommend Patty Lyons' book. I received it as an Xmas gift and have already used 2 of the tips for a sweater I've been stuck on. She explains and illustrates why things in knitting don't turn out the way you expect and why her solutions work. I've been knitting for more than 50 years and have already learned much from her book. The book itself is well made - a good size to fit in a knitting bag, the pages are sewn in - not glued, the technical illustrations are clear, and Franklin's nontechnical illustrations are, of course, amusing. The paper is thick and solid. I didn't have a problem with the type face, ink color, or the semi gloss finish on the pages. I hope the criticisms on Amazon don't depress sales of the book because I think it is one of the more valuable knitting books available. Nancy in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:02 AM

    I have a copy of Patty Lyons’s book on its way to me, after having borrowed a friend’s copy for a couple of days and — as others have already written here — learning a lot (I have been knitting for just shy of thirty years). I wear bifocals or dedicated prescription reading glasses, and did not have difficulty with the text. (The Other Kristen, in NY State)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow the MDK knitting blog and her tips have been appearing there for ages. I have grown increasingly impatient of paler ink on shiny paper as I have grown older! I'm trying to impose a '1 in, 1 out' on myself (yarn and knitting needles excluded of course) to see if that will help relieve bulging cupboards and groaning bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:14 AM

    Word for word what KayT said, but additionally this particular gray/grey typeface for some reason is not as difficult to read as most and I’m glad I got it. SO GLAD that “opinionated” knitters have come right out on a public forum to call out publishers about this terrible trend. Maybe some of them will think twice. After all, we’ve already changed, for the most part, airline restrictions on knitting needles. It may take a while, maybe months, but I think Daniela will probably be back. Fingers crossed. Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I downloaded the sample of the book on my tablet (kindle app, on a Samsung tablet), and have had no problem reading it.

    ReplyDelete