Friday, January 13, 2023

 Archie is coming tomorrow. He wants to earn some money. I’ve warned him about the light in the catalogue room. When he’s done that, he can cook my lunch – I’ve ordered some meal packages again, the first in a long time. I did the first one for myself today. It’s hard work, in my frail and clumsy state, but fun. I am the original of EZ’s Blind Follower, and love being told what to do, step by step, with all the ingredients to hand. The cook still has to provide salt, pepper, oil, implements and pans. I use Mindful Chef because they’re the only ones who provide meals for one (oddly). Nowadays meals for one are so expensive that I suspect I might as well order for two.

 I resumed knitting Fergus’ sweater, and figured out where I was without much difficulty. Still haven’t photographed that hat.

 KD’s latest essay is about Technicolor, and is very interesting indeed. She writes largely about a 1940’s film called “A Matter of Life and Death”. I think I’ve seen it only in its American form, “Stairway to Heaven”, which KD says to avoid. How could I find it? It switches back and forth from colour to black and white, like “Wizard of Oz” but more adventurously. The essay also includes “Tiger in the Smoke” with London wrapped in fog – my very favourite thriller of them all.

 Wordle: most of us scored three today. I’ve rarely seen such unanimity. The exceptions were the two Rachels,  aunt and niece, a.k.a. Big and Little. They both scored five. But then in the afternoon Roger somewhat spoiled the symmetry of the whole with a four.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if you have tried Wiltshire Farm Foods? They are very particular about the ingredients etc. Meals ,for one or more, arrive frozen and can be cooked frozen in a microwave. Really simple and having used them for some years for my husband I can vouch for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the film you mentioned, wasn't David Niven the ''hero''. I always enjoy watching it, even tho' I know the story
    re Elizabeth's comment> Wiltshire Farm Foods are very convenient, but some items have to be reheated in a oven not micro
    keep taking care, Jean xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can buy a dvd from Amazon for less than 3 pounds under the British title. It would be easier than trying to stream it.

    ReplyDelete