Sunday, January 29, 2023

 

A pleasant, windy day. This was the first day on which I could say with assurance, the light is coming back. I usually expect that on Groundhog Day, Candlemas, the Feast of the Purification. The American groundhog is a secularisation of an older British superstition. And it makes more sense here, with our uncertain weather. Groundhog Day used to puzzle me slightly when I was young (in Detroit, the Jersey shore, and Ohio). Of course there was plenty more winter to come, whatever that silly rodent supposed.

 

C. and I went to Mass, always satisfactory. But no knitting. I wonder if I should face the fact that I’m a bit stuck here, and start thinking about that great-grandchild due in April. In fact, I did a bit of that today.

 

And what I thought about was Gudrun Johnson’s hap. I’ve knit it at least twice. And this raises a question. I knit it from her Craftsy pattern. I didn’t devote much time to the problem today, but I couldn’t see a way to log in to Craftsy. I thought the courses I had bought – and there are quite a few of them, knitting and cooking – were mine forever. The pattern can be bought on Ravelry for not too much. Or I could figure it out for myself. But how do you get in to Craftsy these days? is the question.

 

Thank you for comments yesterday, especially yours, Shandy and Chloe, about hip replacement. Tomorrow’s job is to phone the GP again and try to persuade them to let me speak to him. Today after Mass I chatted with an acquaintance who is almost as old as I am – 90 in October. She stood comfortably throughout the conversation, while I sat on my outdoor walking machine. (My mother was in good form at 90. There was worse to come.) At any rate, my mind is made up; I have but to forge ahead.

 

Wordle: I’ve left the iPad in the kitchen – carrying anything is difficult with a walker, and I am always afraid that it will slip from under my arm. Can I remember today’s results? I scored an undistinguished five, I’m sure of that, in which I was joined only by Mark. He (alone) had the same configuration as I did for the penultimate line: ???, grn, grn, grn, grn. Otherwise threes and fours all round. Alexander, Big Rachel, and Theo were the threes. I may be forgetting somebody there.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:13 PM

    Hi Jean. I have a Craftsy acct but haven’t used it in almost a year. I just signed in to see if it’s working and it is. Go to “craftsy.com” and the sign in page will come up asking for your email and password (if you’ve forgotten it you can reset it from this page - I did that 2 years ago and there was no problem). Then you can sign in (after verifying that you are not a robot :) Hope this helps.
    Maybe a change of project in anticipation of spring and a new great grandchild
    will get the knitting juices flowing and perk you up.
    Lynda (in Massachusetts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Many thanks, Lynda. It worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I've just successfully signed it in Craftsy after at least two years and got in, there are my classes sitting there, including the one for Gudrun's hap. (I did need to reset my password.) In the past I've knit that hap three times for new babies, enjoyed it every time and they were all well received and used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:02 AM

    Haps for babies are a great gift, and a plain centre allows for quick, pleasurably mindless progress! Which colours might you choose this time?
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete