Friday, March 03, 2023

 An eventful day, in its quiet way. Four for Wordle – that comes later. Helen arrived and got me reinstated with on-line banking at the Bank of Scotland. I also have an account at the Royal Bank – long, boring story – which I use most days. I had forgotten my BofS details -- they must be recorded here somewhere. But my hip-replacement money was meant to go into the BofS, and when Helen finished getting me set up, there it was! 

My hope is that it is enough for the surgery and two or three weeks of recuperation at that fancy place I went to for a fortnight last summer – and perhaps an item or two from Toa.st as if I were going on a cruise. It would help me to anticipate surgery with less dread, to have some cruise clothes to look forward to. But I’d probably better wait until I meet the surgeon and find out what he actually costs before I start emailing Toast.

 

And after all that, my iPad suddenly discovered that it couldn’t hear the Internet. I have succeeded, after a struggle, in re-booting it and all is now well. But I feel this sort of crisis is arising too often.

 

The knitting continues well.

 

Mary Lou (comment yesterday), my husband’s father was born Church of Scotland to a respectable Edinburgh family. He was 20 in 1914 and must have been of independent mind to resist the temptation to march off and get slaughtered. I don’t know how Quaker he was, other than that he was in on the beginning of the Ambulance Brigade. After the war, but I don’t even know when, he became a Roman Catholic. I look forward to meeting him in heaven and getting all this straight. He died of a brain tumour not long before WW2, long before I met his son.

 

Wordle: Threes for Ketki, Alexander, daughter-Rachel, and Mark. Roger was with me on four, and then we go up to five for Theo and Thomas. I think I might have had a three, had I remembered to apply a principle of Wordle-solving which I hope I will tell you about tomorrow except of course one forgets. I save the actual answers in my iPad notebook, but that doesn’t cover the preliminary struggle. My starters gave me one green vowel and three further browns today.

 

If iPad crises continue and I have to have a new one, how to I get my iPad stats to transfer over? Will I have to subscribe to the NYT?

4 comments:

  1. Mary Jane9:16 PM

    When I got a new I-pad it just seemed to automatically transfer all the apps and data. At least I remember it being extremely easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 PM

    I recently got a new phone and thought at first I lost both Wordle and Quordle stats. I had subscribed to NYT. There was a button to access my old stats.
    (Pattie in Geneseo, NY)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:04 PM

    You are not alone regarding iPad “irregularities”, Jean. Just now my e-mail function landed in my photos app. The standard fix - turn ipad off and on again - did not work. This is right after I updated. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my hip replaced in June 2023, and while I'm younger than you are, my mom, who's in her late 80s, had hers replaced the September prior. She was running circles around me! Best of luck for your surgery! Honestly, I felt so much better afterward, and my mom said the same.

    ReplyDelete