Tuesday, March 21, 2023

 

Paradox has been carried off to the vet for her post-operative check-up, protesting mightily. She’s fine, and shouldn’t be gone long. If only my hip could be so briskly and successfully dealt with.

 

At last, some knitting news to report. I’ve finished the borders of the Shetland hap, and embarked – not without difficulty – on the edging. I’ve done this often enough before, but found myself sitting there in some confusion, with three sets of live stitches: the ones I had just cast on to a short DP, and the two ends of the circular needle on which I had been knitting the borders. Things weren’t helped by the fact that the text of the Craftsy instructions said clearly not to break the yarn, whereas Gudrun in the video said the opposite, and demonstrated it.

 

However, after some struggle, and a pause for lunch and nap, I’ve got it, and have knit two whole scallops. It’s a very simple edging. I think I remember from past projects that the main difficulty is going to be the mind wandering. I have become one of Franklin’s patrons. He offered us a Victorian edging today, very pretty. I was tempted for 30 seconds or so, maybe less. I don’t need a complication, and that edging was too fancy for a basic hap.

 

Comments: Anonymous, yesterday: I don’t think I have ever heard of “feidenkrasis”, and will look it up. I have actually got osteonecrosis, meaning that some of the bone is worn away: they all tell me that no treatment other than surgery, or series of exercises,  will help although it is a good idea to keep up with exercises anyway. Sarah in Manhattan, those stairs are tremendously good for you, as I’m sure you know. I hope you’ll stick it out for awhile.

 

I keep thinking about my own future, and getting nowhere. There’s much to be said on one side (moving in with Helen) and on the other (an up-market nursing home). Maybe I should just stay here until the next crisis forces a choice.

 

Wordle: I was glad you had CREDO, Sarah. I was worried at the news that the Wordle word might not be the same worldwide. Still a puzzle, but at least there’s your testimony to an American CREDO. We all found today’s word pretty easy: all threes and fours – I was a three – except for Mark, who trumped us all with a two.


Paradox is home, and well, and cross. I must go feed her.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:37 PM

    It's "Feldenkrais". Never tried it myself; many decades ago a friend was teaching it in Toronto. (- Beth - not sure why the page isn't prompting me to comment with my Google account today.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar8:39 PM

    I had an introduction to Feldenkreis, years ago. It is very gentle yet effective. Much of it involves awareness.
    Congratulations on taking a break to come back to the edging with clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Helen has offered I should take her up on it, booking in to a nice nursing home for regular respite breaks. That could be your settled plan, meanwhile exercising in order to preserve as much mobility as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou10:08 PM

    I hope that a cross cat doesn't decide to take revenge on your knitting! My sister is a big fan of "feldy" as she calls it. She was in an accident years ago and has life long problems from it. I didn't quite believe that credo was considered an English word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:10 AM

    Experience of friends has shown me that residents of good nursing homes can live for many years.

    My parents reached the stage where they were not safe at home without a supportive presence. My father did not want to leave his home. My mother was desperate to be relieved of the responsibility of trying to keep things going when her own health was poor and her mobility unreliable. We did suggest getting someone to sleep in overnight in case of need, which was a less costly option which would allow them to remain at home, but both refused saying it would no longer feel like home with a carer there during the night. I think it is is wise to work out exactly what your own concerns are, and what loving family's concerns are, and from there find the solution which deals with those issues and gives you as much happiness as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:11 AM

    Oh, I don't know what nursing home rates are in Edinburgh, and it is one of those things people don't like to talk about, but near us in the south of England they run to around £80,000 per year!!!!

    ReplyDelete