Friday, March 31, 2023

 Cool and grey again.

 

Knitting has progressed well, and I hope to do another scallop this evening. I did one yesterday. evening. It can be done.  I am proud of myself for the error-free nature of the edging so far. It’s about as easy as an edging can get, as I’ve already mentioned – but each row is different from the one before; one has to keep one’s wits about one.

 

Rachel rang up this morning. She is fully prepared to address the question of My Future when she and Ed are here in Easter week, although she has plenty to think about without that one, including two embryonic grandchildren. She remarked on how rare it is, in life, actually to have to make a decision. Usually one is just swept along. Marriage? I suggested, but she wasn’t sure, even there.

 

I’m still reading Wodehouse. Evelyn Waugh suggests in a line Amazon quotes in an ad, that “the gardens of Blandings Castle are that original garden from which we are all exiled”. I have pretty well exhausted Bertie and Jeeves, and have retreated to Blandings, Lord Emsworth and his pig. One of the very nice things about reading Wodehouse is that one doesn’t have to exert much effort keeping the characters straight. They’re all Aunts, or Old Friends, or Girls, and it doesn’t much matter anyway.

 

Wordle: Nothing but threes and fours today. I don’t remember a day so uniform. I was a four, and found things tough. I hesitated over my line three – was it really a word? But Wordle accepted it, and indeed WordleBot congratulated me on my vocabulary. I’ll tell you tomorrow if I remember. The threes, whom I will mention honoris causa, were Alexander and his wife Ketki and Roger.

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Tamar's comment from yesterday, Frankenstein socks were a thing a while ago, using up remnants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou10:32 PM

    I made it in three today and yesterday! Feeling very clever. Here in the US, as my housing experience showed me, 'senior' (over 55) properties were much more lived in by 80's folks. Assisted living became for, in housing speak, the 'frail elderly." Some of the assisted living places were lovely. A friend lives in a senior condo limited to former university employees, so there is a lot of stimulating talk and activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:17 AM

    Jean, I am sure you must be congratulating yourself at this stage for having had the forethought to have four children. What help several of them and your grandchildren must be right now! Chloe

    ReplyDelete