Friday, March 10, 2023

 

Thank you for comments; especially yours, Chloe. I feel irrationally guilty (as well as terrified) about Spending the Kids’ Inheritance on private surgery. It’s the surgeon who should feel guilty. I am reducing the NHS waiting list by one, at considerable cost to myself. I did this once before, with cataracts, and didn’t feel guilty at all. I wasn’t safe to drive. My husband had given up driving. It was go-private or no-Kirkmichael all summer. That time – it was quite a while ago – I don’t suppose I jumped the queue by more than three or four months, at the worst. And paying meant that I could stay in the private hospital overnight: that was welcome. This hip thing will be in the same place.

 

Helen will go with me on Monday, I could scarcely get there without her. But you’re right, I’ll need her as a witness.

 

I continue to read Jeeves-and-Wooster, and it’s wonderfully soothing. Bertie has problems, even worse than my problems. Jeeves solves them. My problem today is this: I knit steadily on, and have reached the next lace row. I know the basic pattern, but the configuration at the ends of each side (I’m knitting the borders) changes a bit because stitches are added at each corner every knit round. I haven’t printed the pattern out this time. I just nip in to Craftsy whenever I reach a lace row.

 

And today, I can’t get in. After email address and password, you have to attest that you are not a robot, and answer questions based on that irritating grid. Today, the grid won’t come up. The little circle just keeps going around. (Having written that, I tried on this leptop computer, and got in – they took my word for it that I wasn’t a robot. So all is well, I guess.) I’ll have to sit in here in the catalogue room if I want to knit that lace round this evening.)

 

Kate Davies’ new book is here, “Allover”. And to my very considerable disappointment, it doesn’t contain any of the interesting essays on colour, by Kate and others, which we have been reading week by week as part of club membership. Are they still on-line somewhere?

 

Wordle: Alexander turned up at lunchtime today. Curioser and curioser. It was a toughy. He scored six, as did Mark and Theo and I. Ketki and her son Thomas managed fives. My daughter Rachel came home with the only four. I am beginning to feel that she does rather well rather often.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 PM

    I know you'd like to leave the kids an inheritance. But it seems to me they are all doing quite well, and don't need it. Even the grandkids seem well-launched. I think the best gift you can give them is your continued good health and independence, which the surgery will hopefully provide.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Exactly this! I am encouraging my father to spend his money if it makes his life easier.

      Delete
  2. DawninNL6:14 PM

    The colour essays are on Kate's blog. Though I don't know if all the essays the club gotare there. I really enjoyed the ones I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:28 PM

    The club essays should be in your email if you haven’t deleted them. Save them as documents or print them.

    Elaine in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:19 AM

    Please don’t feel guilty about using inheritance money, Jean. It’s yours to use for your own needs and not theirs until you pass on. God be with you during your hospital stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou12:40 AM

    I agree with the others, that the best you can give them is your health and mobility. Any re. the subject of knitting styles, Irish cottage and otherwise, there is an article in today's NYTimes about the knitter who made the sweaters for The Banshees of Inisheran, and the photo shows her in full Irish Cottage Knitting mode! https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/10/style/colin-farrell-sweaters-the-banshees-of-inisherin.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar4:50 AM

    Jean, as the others said, it's your money. Keeping yourself healthy and mobile will be a better use of it than paying extra caregivers, too.

    Thank you for the link, Mary Lou, but the photo I saw didn't show what I thought was Irish Cottage Knitting. The needle was not under the arm at all. I was happy to read that the designs were based on period photographs of authentic sweaters of the era, even the unusual elements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been furious if I knew that my parents didn't do something for their health or entertainment in order to leave more to me or my siblings. Take care of yourself so that they won't need to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Jean, you already gifted your children with a tight-knit, loving, well-educated family ready to help each other in a crisis. Your obligation has been more than met. The need, historically, to pass on wealth is much less critical in current middle and upper-middle class circumstances than it was in the past. Please don’t let the weight of past historical customs make you feel guilty today. Your health is your Number 1 priority. Chloe


    ReplyDelete