Wednesday, March 15, 2023

 

I’m terribly sorry – and thank you profoundly for nudging me. What follows is what I wrote for you, and saved, but somehow failed to post, on Monday evening:

 

I had a nice time at the Murrayfield Hospital this morning. We have decided not to proceed. (“On one point rather sore, but on the whole, delighted.”) The surgeon we met didn’t think I was a very good bet because of old age, a history of pulmonary embolisms (years ago, but I still take blood thinners) and perhaps cider-drinking. He was doubtful from the beginning, when I arrived by wheelchair. It would be safer to wait until my number comes up at the NHS, he said, because they are better equipped to deal with the things that might go wrong. He put the chances of going-wrong at about one in ten. Helen was horrified.

 

He has given us a secret Royal Infirmary telephone number which we can ring up to find out how I am progressing on the waiting list, but we’re not to tell them where we got it.

 

There is a danger that the hip could quite suddenly become very painful. It’s only slightly ache-y now. I sometimes take paracetamol at night.

 

The experience left me very tired. I had a nice long nap. But little knitting has been done. I was wrong, I think: the colours on my hap are all right. The normal thing for hap colpurs is to segue from dark to light and back again. But Gudrun’s pattern said that each of the colours employed requires more than one 25gr ball, and I didn’t have more than one ball of anything. So I have simply been knitting them in six-round stripes, which simplifies things considerably because the lacy round is every sixth.

 

So at the moment I am knitting the last of my colours, and the penultimate lacy round. I think I will go back to the bright colour I started with. I’m pretty sure there won’t be enough to finish a six-round stripe. I’ll switch to the main colour when I run out.

 

Wordle: Four was the score today, although Daughter Rachel, Thomas, and Roger had three. The pattern was interesting: most of us, including me,  lost a guess on ???,grn,grn,grn,grn but Ketki and Roger had grn,grn,grn,???,grn instead.

 

That’s it. Little or nothing to add. I now see that I got as far as copying it to Blogger: it's stored here as a draft. 

I continue to feel unusually feeble. And Helen continues horrified at the Murrayfield surgeon’s summing up of me, and wonders if I am fit to be left to live here alone. I'm not sure about that either. 

 

Wordle: Mary Lou, I agree with you about EMAIL. It’s an abbreviation. At least I got it, unlike DEBUG which I also disapproved of, on shakier ground, perhaps.

 

My two starters gave me two browns this morning, one vowel, one consonant. From that weak start, I nearly got it: grn, ???, grn, grn, grn. The fourth guess was right. And a score of four was common today. Thomas and Mark got three. Roger needed five.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:26 PM

    I'm not so sure how 'secret' that number will be. My husband contacted a freely available number at our local NHS hospital and was quickly given a number to contact to find out how long his wait for an appointment for an department (not orthopeadic) would be. The person to whom he spoke on that number was able to give him the information he needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting - and honest of the surgeon. An aunt of my husband had a hip replacement done privately and the result was one leg shorter than the other - they had had to remove more bone but only had a standard sized replacement. Not sure what thatproves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar4:12 AM

    Honesty is good. Meanwhile, keep on with the exercises - it seems you need them! Maybe by the time your slot at the NHS opens, you'll be stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, it sounds like the doctor is more concerned with his track record than with his patients. So yes, I think waiting is probably the best thing to do rather than go with him as your surgeon. And do keep up the exercises, from everything I hear from others they make a huge difference. As for DEBUG, as a computer programmer in my youth, that was a very common word. Wishing you well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:53 PM

    If replacement surgery is out of the question even by the NHS there is a growing practice of stem cell or gene therapy which is not surgical. You might ask about that. I would have had no problem with debug. It’s been around in that form for a long time. But for some reason I always think of email as a hyphenated word: e-mail. Maybe it was in its infancy. So much modern technology takes years to become standardized and universally familiar to the non-tech public. At least it seems that way to me. Chloe

    ReplyDelete