Saturday, March 25, 2023

 

Franklin says he lives in central Paris and all is calm and normal. Funny old world, as we’ve often noticed.

 

The knitting has progressed quietly forward. I am carefully not doing too much at a time, and trying hard to concentrate, all for fear of losing the thread and making mistakes. But I have realised (I think) that I’ve got a fortnight before Rachel and Ed will be here – the week after Easter – and that might just be long enough after all to finish the edging and tidy the many ends – I have been dipping into stash and coming up with yarn the moths have been interested in before me, so there are an untoward number of ends. Blocking can be done while R&E are here, and then they can take the shawl back to London with them. As I’ve said, I hate knitting to deadlines, but this one might be worth pressing for.

 

Thank you, again, for your help with my future. Jenny, I didn’t know that there were differences between Scotland and England on inheritance tax. It doesn’t really affect us, since all the property is in Scotland, but it’s interesting. And your notion of lodging somebody here, or renting it out, might well be worth exploring. There is much in what you say, Chloe, about younger generations not being interested in Things. And it is a well-known phenomenon that people think they have Valuable Things (as I do), but the outside world doesn’t agree. That theme turned up only this morning in a private blog that an Oberlin friend of mine – even older than I am, but a good deal sounder of hip – writes to relatives and friends. A friend of hers had a couple of pictures ….but no, not worth anything to speak of.

 

Helen was here this morning, and will be off to Greece early tomorrow to hear the frogs singing the croaking chorus from Aristophanes, as they do in the spring in Greece. A further advantage of modern technology, as well as the ones I mentioned yesterday, is that we can remain in close contact. I’ve just had an appt for a Covid booster at a ridiculously distant site. I think I can deal with that by myself – or, at the worst, take taxis – but I’m glad to be able to confer.

 

Wordle: a very wide spread today. My score was an easy three, and nobody did better: I can assure you of that from the beginning. Mark and Alexander and Theo were the other threes. Four for Roger and Daughter-Rachel. The outliers were Thomas, with five, and poor Ketki (of all people) who failed. She had ???, ???, grn, grn, grn for line two. And also for lines three, four, and five. It looks as if she sort of went to pieces, in line six.

 

Chloe, I think you should join us in actually doing Wordle. It’s simple and brilliant.

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar6:23 PM

    An appointment for a covid booster? Over here it has been free shots without appointments. Also, I hadn't heard of another variant - is this omicron again? Are we supposed to get the same shot again?
    I think the young have no place to put Things. If housing weren't so expensive, it might be different. The size of things makes a difference, too. Young people tend to move more often, moving themselves instead of hiring someone.
    Good going on the hap. Slow and steady gets it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shandy10:35 PM

    Many years ago, I was keeping an eye on my boyfriend's house while he was away. The house was burgled overnight and I rang him to break the news. "Had they taken the water-colours?" he wanted to know. "And what about the canteen of cutlery?" No. In fact they had found little of interest, taking only four pound coins and a bottle of duty-free gin. I tell this story as an example of the different values people place on Things. I'm sure your husband's pictures are worth a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:40 AM

    In Ontario high-risk individuals can have a sixth vaccination now, as in a second bivalent shot.
    Nice to make an appointment, hopefully to avoid waiting - but too bad it is not a convenient location.
    Would your doctor‘s office or nearby pharmacy offer it, or can you request a home vaccination?
    I am not yet in the range for this next booster but I can hardly wait.
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:34 AM

    Jean, I'm sorry if I caused confusion yesterday. Inheritance tax is the same in Scotland and England. It is the inheritance laws which are different. English law is Common Law and Scottish law derives from Roman Law, so some things are different.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Thank you, Jean, for the encouragement! I will look into it. I did try a sample game a while back, not requiring passwords, etc, and I got a four. Good enough to feel interested. Shandy, I was also burgled many decades ago, under similar circumstances. Frozen hamburgers from the freezer and a very cute pillowcase, presumably to carry the hamburgers in. The police determined it was probably kids pulling a stunt. But coming home to a house which was locked with the chain from the Inside was chilling. Chloe

    ReplyDelete