Tuesday, March 14, 2023

 Big news today: my granddaughter Lizzie, youngest of the four children of my daughter Rachel, rang up this morning to say – not that she was about to get married, as I expected from the lift in her voice – but that she and her long-term partner Dan are expecting a baby in September.  I hope they will get married – I think it probably helps in the tough patches with which all lives are invested, and there are various legal advantages. Maybe they are against it in principle. And meanwhile, I’ve got another great=grandchild to knit for. They are getting to be as common as Calcutta Cup victories.

 

Lizzie has been assigned a midwife named, I think, Norman. Her mother Rachel was concerned, and told her to insist on being transferred to a woman if she felt at all uneasy at the first encounter. However, it turns out that Norman is the mother of two, and Lizzie liked him a lot on first meeting, so that’s all right. It’s a funny old world.

 

My first thought is to go for another hap, but this time a lacier one. Jamieson and Smith sell lots of (what I suspect are mostly Gladys Amedro) lace-weight patterns with yarn. You may be sure that I’m not going to get involved with purl rounds again. I think I’ve picked one out, but there’s no hurry. I must finish the current one first, and I can trust J&S to fill the order quickly when I’m ready.

 

Meanwhile the knitting moves slowly forward on the hap for the great-grandchild which is almost with us. There’s nothing wrong with the colours at all.

 

Wordle: my starters gave me three browns today: a vowel and two consonants. I struggled mightily, but finally gave up and put in what might well be classed as a Jean-word: it fully qualified, but it was plural, and Wordle (so far) doesn’t do that. However, like many a Jean-word before it, it was very useful. I now had three greens and a brown, which is as good as having four greens since there was only one place for that brown to go. So I got it in four. Three for Daughter-Rachel, Mark, and Roger; five for Thomas. Fours elsewhere.

 

I lost my stats when I was lured into subscribing to the Times, you may remember. My new fours bar is way out in front of my fives (which wasn’t true before).

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Nice news, but what about your hip?

    Elaine in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar8:35 PM

    I'm glad the color thing turneded out all right.
    Avoiding long purl rows is a human right, in my opinion. :-)
    It's very windy today here.
    I recently found an old unfinished object. It would take twenty minutes or less to finish it I wonder why I stopped. I continue to be impressed by how much you get done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many congrats. J&S were having trouble with deliveries due to recent bad weather. Not sure what state of play is this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou10:20 PM

    Another great-grandchild to knit for! Fun. Do let us know what the doctor said about your hip. I got Wordle in three today, but nearly failed several times this week. I think it is past being a spoiler, so can I say, I don't think of email as a proper word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 AM

    I’ve often wondered if they would use “email”. To me it is a sign of the times - that there are now more of “them” (young ‘uns) than there are of us (the huge, influential, post-war, baby-boomer generation). How the mighty have fallen. Yes, please, Jean, how did the doctor visit go? Or are you still digesting it? Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jean,
    I can't recall what internet search brought me to your blog yesterday, but I am grateful that it did so. I have enjoyed dipping here and there through your posts, picking years and months at random in the archives. Your blog is delightful and I enjoy your writing style tremendously. So often blogs select only the cheerful things to report. I appreciate you reflecting a more relatable sense of the full range of life's experiences. How lovely to happen upon the photos of your 90th birthday and be able to put a face to the name. I hope today was a good knitting day, and in all the other respects too. Best wishes from Ottawa, Canada.

    ReplyDelete