Sunday, March 19, 2023

 Perdita continues to mend. She spent last night with me, as usual. Her appetite, never entirely lacking, has improved enormously. I continue to succeed at grinding up a cat-antibiotic and administering it to her. Helen also brought home a cat-painkiller and wants me to administer that, too – but I’m sure Paradox would tell me is she were in pain, and I’m sure I speak cat well enough to understand if she did. She must go back to the vet for a check-up on Tuesday. She won’t like that.

 

 I was pleased to find that veterinary science has moved on to the point where she wasn’t sent home with one of those funnel-shaped plastic neck braces. Perdita was, seven years ago. She took it off the first night. I told Helen this time to ask how to take it off, if they insisted on inflicting one on Paradox, but they didn’t. Nor has she shewn any interest in in messing with her wound.


[Microsoft Word's spelling checker accepts "shewn" -- well done, Mr. Gates. Blogger's doesn't like it.}

 

I wish I could report so well of my knitting, but alas, no. I’ve done some. The rounds are enormous. I’ve got one and one-half more to do.

 

Ireland beat England at rugby, and thus won a Grand Slam – they beat every one of the rest of us this year. I learned – a propos my reference yesterday to the English team singing their national anthem in Dublin – that 50 years ago, before I was interested in rugby, during the Troubles, Scotland and Wales were scared and stayed away from Dublin, but England went, and were applauded by the Irish crowd as they took the field. They lost. Their captain remarked afterwards that they weren’t very good, but at least they turned up. That’s sort of heart-warming but I still don’t like shamrocks and St. Patrick.

 

Wordle: the nearest small town to Kirkmichael, over the hills past the new wind farm, is Alyth. I had a brown T and A and H from my starters yesterday, but Wordle wouldn’t allow ALYTH. Their loss.

 

Today was another struggle, and again I don’t entirely approve of the answer. I scored five, joined there by Alexander and Mark. Theo needed six. My five is not disgraceful in such company, and nobody shamed us with a three. Fours elsewhere.

6 comments:

  1. I got Wordle in four. I'm curious to know what your objection to the word is,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:37 PM

    I agree that today's Wordle was a strange word. I did know it, but it did not seem like a Wordle word. I managed 4 by a lucky guess.
    Glad Paradox is recovering and that Perdita is back to her ways.
    We don't follow Rugby, but I do enjoy your enthusiasm for the game.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't approve of today's Wordle either, and tomorrow we'll get to say why. BUT: did get it in three, as the clues from my two starter words left room for no other choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:48 AM

    Cats show pain by hiding away, by eating less, and by being less sociable and not doing the usual things they would do with their human family. Good to know that Paradox has reappeared, started sharing your bed again and is eating more. As you say, she is feeling better as the days go by.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar8:31 AM

    St Patrick's day isn't big in Ireland either. I hear that it is in the USA because it was pushback against anti-Irish prejudice.
    Those rows will get done in time. Waiting to see how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:04 PM

      Indeed, from the mid-19th century the Irish in the US emphasized celebration of St. Patrick's Day as one way of standing up to the prejudice against them. Happily that motive has disappeared, but sadly the holiday has since become an excuse for blow-out boozing, with no reference to anyone's ethnic origin or the history of a particular immigrant group's experience in a new world. St. Patrick himself barely gets a nod.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete