Tuesday, March 28, 2023

 

It’s cold out there, I think. I got a cookery magazine in the mail today which suggested that it’s time for wild garlic and even asparagus. Surely not quite. But I mustn’t let the time slip by. There's wild garlic in Drummond Place Gardens, and no one seems to care except me. When I was young in America I never suspected how wonderful asparagus was, even though I remember most fondly my grandmother’s big patch of it.

 Knitting progressed well today  It helps a lot to have a specific, countable goal-per-day.

 

I find myself counting the days of Helen’s absence. All is well here. This won’t do.

 

Wordle: I was the first to log in this morning, with another three (she said modestly). Alexander and Mark soon joined me with that score. Lots of fours elsewhere – Roger’s was especially brilliant: he lept from two browns to the right answer. Ketki and Daughter-Rachel needed five. I’ll have something to say about today’s word if I can hold it in mind as long as tomorrow.,

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 PM

    The following are extracts from UK Government websites:
    The shingles vaccination programme was introduced in September 2013.
    You become eligible for the shingles vaccine as you turn 70 and remain eligible up to the age of 79.
    People under 70 years of age are at lower risk of shingles but will become eligible for the vaccine when they turn 70. People aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older. If you are worried about shingles speak to your GP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona7:22 PM

    There was "Early British asparagus" in a Waitrose in Cambridgeshire this week. The stalks had flavour, the tips did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou12:24 AM

    I can only dream of our asparagus, given this wicked cold March. We had asparagus beetles last year, perhaps the cold and snow put paid to their little eggs! Wordle in 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar8:12 AM

    Today was pleasant though cool. Chilly after dark.
    Gosh, I had no idea there was a time limit. But why can't they give the shot anyway? Less effective doesn't mean not effective. Some bureaucrat thinks they might save a penny?

    It's good to hear that the edging is progressing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:23 PM

    I find I do better also by pacing myself with my knitting, especially with lace. Congratulations on your three! So after 80 we have to resign ourselves to the risk of shingles?? Another question for the doctor. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:28 PM

    I’m thinking Habitat for Humanity (American charitable house-building group) might like some of that furniture our children might be rejecting. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne C. in MD6:29 PM

    That's interesting about the shingles vax; my husband got shingles for the second time last spring (he's 83)--not fun. His doctor didn't say anything about not getting the shots, though he is protected now for a few years, just for having had it.

    ReplyDelete