Monday, March 07, 2022

 A funny day, rather a set-back. I have been very weak, although appetite held up well. The sun beamed warmly in the windows, but I didn’t walk. I’ve been back through blog entries for the period just before and after my week in hospital at the end of September. I didn’t learn much, except that I am a little bit stronger than I was then (except for today). I walk around the garden more days than not, which I couldn’t do then, and I’m knitting. (I’m nearly finished with the second sleeve of the Aroon jacket. Tomorrow should see it done.) And I’m reading a bit more seriously – I’m on the third volume of Jan Morris’ Pax Britannica trilogy. We’ve just reached the beginning of WWI.

 

I got Wordle in four today. That’s something.

 

Mary Lou and Beth, do your comments yesterday mean that you’ve got the Weekend FT? If so, can you think of a yarn which would do for that vest? About a 4-ply? We’d need good stitch definition. Nothing too soft.

 

Alas, no, Tamar: one sit-to-stand means one sit-to-stand. I didn’t attempt it today. Our bed is unusually high – Alexander, James and Helen were born in it and my medical attendants expressed pleasure at not having to bend over as much as they usually did for a home delivery. Sitting on the side of it, I can stand up with ease without pushing. But I think that’s cheating somewhat. My feet are firmly on the floor, but my femurs, in the sitting posture, are sloping slightly downwards.

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar2:33 AM

    I think it counts. It still exercises the relevant muscles. A day of rest between exercise days is often recommended anyway. We had sun and wind here, despite a chance of rain. It was summer heat - 71F or more (over 20C) but it didn't penetrate the house much. I stayed in anyway and caught up on some very light reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou, as the designer I hope you can weigh in on yarn choice for the FT vest - I haven't that kind of expertise. Jean, no paper subscription here, I just looked it up on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:44 AM

    Jean, my mother in law reluctantly moved to a care home partly because she could not get up from a chair without an assistant. When she got there, the chairs had a higher seat and she could do it herself. We had tried to encourage her to have a new, higher chair but she had refused.....

    There is also a gadget to raise your toilet seat, or you can get a plumber to come and put in a new, higher loo (which many of my older friends have done). It's not cheating, it's practical adaptation to keep one independent.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:54 AM

    Tried Wordle today since it might cost money soon.. Fun! But don't want another addiction (knitting, Scrabble). The higher chair sounds great. Whatever it takes! But not good if you only have one chair, of course. Maybe you could borrow one, Jean? Or that might be more trouble than it's worth. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a fairly tightly spun 4 ply would work, even a worsted spun sport/DK at a fairly tight gauge. I have never used it, but Schiehallion from Kate Davies? Trying to think of wool it would be easy to obtain locally - Erika Knight British Blue is lovely for texture. Or West Yorkshire Spinners Blue Faced Leicester. Brooklyn Tweed Peerie or Arbor? I'll keep thinking, I'm sure you have something in stash, but that not might be as much fun.

    ReplyDelete