Tuesday, March 22, 2022

 

Another good day. It looked seriously nice out there, but I didn’t walk, perhaps somewhat flattened, still, by yesterday’s kimchi-making. I had my bath, and progressed with the legwarmer.

 

Wordle in four. My first starter word produced nothing – Alexander has comforted me in the past with the reflection that the elimination of five letters is not a negligible benefit. The second one gave me a green and a brown. That looked sort of unpromising, but reflection suggested that there weren’t many letters which could follow my green – it was in fourth place. I eventually thought of one, a real Jean-word which couldn’t have been right because it didn’t use my brown and contained an already-eliminated vowel. But, hey! it yielded four greens. It took me an embarrassing interval to grasp that all I had to do, now, was to slot my brown into the fifth place.

 

Goodness, this is fun. Shandy, I don’t think I want anything more taxing. Wordle as it stands is just right.

 

Sarah, that’s an interesting question about sock-knitting, and the answer is, essentially, that I can’t remember. In my sock-knitting heyday – all those trips to London to stay with Rachel and look at art – I think I knit the ribbing on four needles and then switched to five. Why? This time I tried to start the way I used to – casting on all the stitches onto one needle and then knitting them off, needle by needle, on the first real round.

 

That didn’t work because Paradox jumped onto my lap at a crucial point. The one mistake that can’t be rectified except by going back to the absolute beginning, is when even one stitch is dropped during that first round. Then I tried casting on on separate needles. That didn’t work either. Finally I cast on on a circular needle, and knit the stitches off from that. It worked, more or less, although there are some irregularities on the first and -- oddly -- the last needle.

 

There must be many gaps in my sock-knitting memory. I remember knitting a pair for my father when I was 12 or so. I had been brought up on books in which “turning a heel” was a feat of skill and ingenuity. I was astonished to discover that all you had to do was follow the instructions. I remember knitting a pair for my husband in the early days of 1957, when we were walking out together. It was an unbirthday present, and he was surprised and pleased. And after that I don’t remember another sock until we went to the USofA in 1995 for my mother’s 90th birthday. I was a poor traveller in those days, but discovered that I was completely intrepid if I had socks to knit.

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I'm still on my second sock, of the first pair with real sock yarn. Going round and round three or four needles is oddly soothing. I was knitting when I was called to see the dermatologist about an ominous patch on my shin and having my hands full of needles and knitting broke the ice. The dermatologist had been a bit terse and grumpy last time but this time she was chatting about sock knitting. (The patch on my leg turned out to have a long name but is nothing serious-phew)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wordle in 4 today! And like you, Jean, my first word yielded nothing, but eliminated 4 consonants and 1 vowel.
    I have started knitting sock ribbing on one circular needle for several rounds, then knitting on to three double points. I never twist the stitches this way and it is easy to sew up the little seam at the end. Sock knitting is satisfying and great for airplanes or other travel as long as you don't drop one of the little needles. They are finished quickly, if you overcome the second sock syndrome and make really nice gifts. I always use sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah (comments yesterday): something I read years ago from some sock-knitting guru or other (could it be our lovely Kate Atherley?) explained the advantage of knitting socks with five needles rather than four (that is, the sock is on four rather than three, with the other needle the active one). Simple physics (or geometry?): the angle between any two needles stretches the yarn less on four needles rather than three, thus decreasing the likelihood of laddering between needles. Sweaters for my husband are a lot of work with an uncertain reception, but he really loves his made-to-measure socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:21 PM

      Beth, I've found knitting socks with five needles as you describe is indeed tidier and simpler. Another benefit is that when you put the sock-in-progress away, you can fold it and its four needles flat and "pin" the fifth needle onto it, whereas a sock mounted on three needles seems always to be an awkward bundle when you try to tuck it away into a knitting bag.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  5. The trouble with socks is that you need to knit two of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. US needles are generally sold in sets of 4 and others in sets of 5. That makes it easier to use only 4 unless, like me, you have many DPN of the same size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:23 PM

      I'm in the US and have always seen dpns sold in sets of 5. Different part of the country?
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete