Friday, March 25, 2022

 

It has been another beautiful day. I feel much sprightlier, but when C. came and we tried to walk, I found the left hip and leg too painful to allow much motion.

 

I am somewhat further forward with the first legwarmer, and grateful for your assurances that I don’t have to worry about the Calcutta Cup until next time (=the other leg), although I greatly appreciated your suggestion, Eileen, that I put one cup on each leg – 2021 and 2022 – and get the whole thing over with.

 

I’m having unexpected difficulty with knitting in colours on five needles. The bowsprit got mixed with the rudder sometimes…Despite my fine collection of needles, I don’t have a circular of small enough dimension for this job. I sent for one, although small-dimension circulars tend to be awfully hard on the wrists. I normally let the yarn do the hard work, as I’ve often said. C. took this picture this morning of some socks I’ve knit in recent months and not disposed of:




 

The only socks I can remember where I did the hard work, were a pair of wedding socks for dear friends who got married latish in life, widow to widower. She was a French scholar and he a Byzantinist, and I remember confecting something with a fleur-de-lis and a Greek cross. She was a walker, too, so I hoped they would be useful. I remember that I knit them inside out, in the hopes that the floats thus forced around the outside, would not pull in too tightly. But I don’t remember having any particular trouble with yarn and needle-ends, and I’m sure I didn’t use a circular.

 

Wordle in five today. Alexander and best-friend Mark also each needed five; Ketki and her son Thomas were home in four. Helen (a non-Wordler) says this theme is getting boring, so perhaps I had better cut down on it. The world seems to be divided fairly evenly into Wordlers and non-Wordlers. Rachel has been having internet problems lately. She has been going in to work early so that she could do Wordle on her company computer before the day started. Today she wasn’t expected in at all, and wondered whether she could just go in and…. Fortunately BT turned up and she is now re-connected to the world. She got it in four.

 

I think this might have been a day when, in the past, I would have failed altogether. This time, after four guesses (one of them a foolish waste of time) I set myself to come up with a word, any word, which satisfied the available data. It took a while.

 

Do I want “280 Japanese Lace Stitches” published by Nihon Vogue last year? Now that I have allowed myself to drift away from VK and Interweave, I have no one to tell me about books. Gayle Roehm is involved in this one, so it couldn’t be entirely bad.

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about your hip, but that multi-coloured sweater is gorgeous and beautifully knitted too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Wordle in 6. I'm still a beginner but feel elated when I succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just what will you DO with all those Japanese Lace Stiches???

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband got today's Wordle in two, saying it was the first word he thought of. I always consider two a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:49 PM

    Jean, I seem to think that a while ago you knitted some socks using Fleegle's method? This is toe-up on two circulars. It would be much easier than using a short circular. I usually use this method and find it easy and versatile; if someone needs a wider sock it is simple to add a couple of stitches to the heel needle. With a bit of thought it should be possible to use two circulars for a top-down sock.

    Helen (anon)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book is a good one - if you want to knit lace of course.
    I am with Helen on the Wordle business - but I spend my days with words of all sorts in diverse languages! (I suspect Helen and I would get along very well on multiple fronts.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please keep posting your Wordle results. Readers can skip that bit if they find it boring. Perhaps in a few months the craze will abate. I struggled today, but finally got it in 5.

    Your socks are impressive. I have used two circs in the past but have reverted to four double points, one of which is the working needle. Just finished turning the heel on the second sock and am into the home stretch.
    Sorry you are finding your hip too painful to walk very much. Perhaps pushing through will lubricate the joint enough to reduce the discomfort. I find I am always stiff in the morning before I get moving...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally prefer to use DPNs on socks, unless I am doing colorwork or something more complicated. Then I use magic loop. The tiny circulars are hard on my hands and wrists. I also got wordle in 5. And you can do it on your phone if you have data!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to gloat a bit, wordle in two today! Lucky guess as I got nothing on my first try. Alas, I have nothing to offer on the knitting front.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has anyone tried Addi Crazytrio sock needles? They seem to be DNS with a short flexible connection between the points, so you knit with the stitches across 2 needles and a third to knit with. I've been tempted but not succumbed.
    Physiotherapy might help your hip. Worth a punt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new Addis are quite nice- less time spent switching between needles, and none of the cord pulling that turned me off of magic loop. One end is pointier than the other, so if you have a preference you need to get used to keeping that organized (I learned that I was flipping the ends of the double points)
    Pricey, but worth it if you knit a lot of socks!

    Phyllis in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:46 PM

    I am very curious about those new Addis. I think in Canada they are called FlexiFlips. They are always sold out ...
    I will keep looking. They seem to be what I could really use for socks for small circumference items. I currently do use dpns.
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete