Sunday, March 20, 2022

 

Another fine spring day. C. came to see me, and we got around the garden.

 

Wordle in five –again, a good one, involving thinking. I am trying to join an online group in which Alexander and Ketki and their children and a friend or two post results – so far without success although I think I am inching forward. It will spare you a good deal of boredom if I succeed.

 

Alexander sent me this link to the Italian commentary on the last couple of minutes of their match with Wales yesterday.  -- Alas, I don't seem to be able to copy and paste it. Sister Helen, you're spared.


Does this work: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GuinnessSixNations&src=hash


You don’t need to know Italian. You don’t need to be interested in rugby. Please watch. (Sister Helen, I’m looking at you.) American watchers may want to know that a try/touchdown scores five points, and the subsequent conversion, if successful, another two.

 

At the beginning of the little clip, when the Italian commentator is clearly resigned to another loss – it had been five or six years since Italy beat anybody – we see a Welshman being named Man of the Match.  Then the Welsh steal the ball at an Italian lineout – further gloom. Then a Welshman kicks way down the field – we’re now counting down to the end of the match by seconds – and Sig Capuozzi gathers it in, and runs, and runs…But the try isn’t enough. They’re still one point behind. They need to kick the conversion. It’s an easy kick, as the ball was touched down right behind the posts. But there’s easy and there’s easy, with the world watching, but he did it, and then fell to the floor (as we say in sporting circles around here) and burst into tears.

 

What you won’t see is what happened a moment or two later, when Mr Jones – he must have been named Jones; he was a Welshman, after all – tried to give the Man of the Match medal to Sig Capuozzi as they were leaving the field, but he protested, no, no, it’s yours. I don’t know which of them took it home. It was a nice moment.

 

Knitting: I’ve finished the projects for both babies, but haven’t had the steam iron out. Mary Lou, yes, I was a great crochet’er of granny squares in my day, but I don’t think that would help here. We’ll see tomorrow. I found some super buttons for the Aroon jacket, but was stymied for a while because I couldn’t thread the needle. Daniella, tomorrow? Then I succeeded.

 

I also hope to make another batch of kimchi tomorrow. I have gathered all the ingredients together, no small achievement, so that I won’t have to wander around the kitchen looking for gochugaru chilli powder, or anything else.

4 comments:

  1. Jean, your link yielded a nice bit of rugby with English commentary, not exactly the scene you described but a good bit of play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep posting your Wordle scores. It is not boring to me as I play every day. I managed to get the right word in 4 today. It really isn't something one gloats about; just a bit of fun.
    Good luck with your kimchi tomorrow, although you seemed to have mastered the technique.
    And I'm looking forward to photos of the two baby knitting projects; especially the Baby Surprise as a pullover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will only work in UK, I think, but this is the moment when Josh Adams gave the medal to Ange Capuozzo. (I can't watch it myself unfortunately).
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/rugby-union/60809520

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:29 PM

    What a sporting weekend for Italy! Ferrari - which might as well be the national team - took first and second in the opening race of the 2022 Formula 1 season. That's a feat they hadn't accomplished in years. After several seasons as also-rans, they're top contenders once more. Bravi!
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete