Wednesday, March 16, 2022

 

I failed at Wordle again. Again, the now-familiar situation, where I knew the last four letters of the target word and could only guess at the first one, with several to choose from. I guessed wrong three times.

 

Alexander (who never fails at Wordle) came over from Glasgow – an extravagance he’s not going to be able to maintain much longer – and we got around the garden in the drizzle.

 

And I’m further forward with the Baby Surprise than I really expected to be: I’ll have yarn left over. I discover in Cully’s book a way of finishing it as a pullover (no buttons!) and I’m tempted. I’ll have to decide soon.

 

I tried to look up the question of the sex difference in button placement in Wikipedia, but there didn’t seem to be anything there – although there is a long, scholarly article about buttons. Google produces a couple of pages of speculative articles, but none of the writers would appear to be any better informed than we are. Women had maids to dress them and the buttons were placed conveniently for that purpose. Men needed to conceal a weapon and draw it briskly forth. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with Wordle today. I had the last four letters in the proper place and failed to guess the right first letter 3 (!!!) times. Quite frustrating. But I will try again tomorrow...I do enjoy the challenge.

    I would love to see the Baby Surprise as a pull over; less fussy for the new mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Wordle in three by sheer luck of a first word. I choose one at random and some days I get lucky. I just started a book called Red Famine, about the forced starvation and attempt at cultural annihilation of Ukraine by Stalin. I was unaware of this. If you search the NYTimes for a review of the book in 2017, it gives a good summary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am avoiding Wordle but I just pulled out Cully's book for someone to look at. She wants to make a pullover. I thought there was something in there. Now I just need to find the relevant passage and mark it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow a blog called 'ganseynation' and today he was describing Japanese demons;
    "...the Nekomata, which are cat-demons responsible for unexplained poltergeist activity (objects being moved, things disappearing), since in my experience that’s what’s properly called “owning a cat…”. I think all is explained regarding Jean's problems with knitting appearing and disappearing

    ReplyDelete