Saturday, March 26, 2022

 

It’s been another beautiful day. The radio says that this will end next week. Meanwhile, wonderful. Daniela got me out and all the way around the garden, to my own surprise. Much the way she is firm with Perdita when the cat tries to get out the front door. (Paradox knows that she’s an indoor cat, and stays in. Perdita likes going for walks.) My hip is still very sore and unreliable.

 

My 12” circular arrived – amazing! – and it does help. Things don’t get so tangled; it’s not too hard on the wrists; and the simple pattern is even simpler when I don’t have to keep stopping at every corner and switching hands and working out where I am.

 

Kirsten, thank you for Addi CrazyTrio’s. I ordered a set at once. I’ll keep you posted. I had a sock-knitting year once – I wonder if the blog goes back that far? – and accumulated a nice little library. Toe up, top down, magic loop, two circulars, afterthought heel – the works. I reverted to top-down dpn’s and stayed there. But Crazy Trios appear well worth a shot. In real life of course, for what time I have left, I will knit plain vanilla socks in fancy yarn, as before. 

 

The remaining problems are: (a) the work seems a bit tight, but another set of Crazy Trios in a larger size seems more than a bit extravagant, even for one so prone to extravagance as I. The intended recipient is very tall and enviably slim; we’ll probably be all right. (b) the colours are close to each other. Nothing can be done about that, but it makes for hard work and close peering. I’ve done 13 rounds. There are 100.

 

Thank you for your advice on that Japanese lace knitting book. Sharon, you sound just like my husband: What will I do with all those lace stitches? Good question. I suppose the answer would be, probably nothing, but I am vaguely trying to accumulate a knitting library, and this sounds as if it might be serious enough to be a worthy candidate.

 

Wordle

 

Rachel is going to join our little group, if she can figure out how to do it. Alexander did it for me. Posting one’s result is simplicity itself, and almost instantaneous, once one is a member of the group. The app is called Signal. If my sister would succumb, she could join, but she is a stout non-Wordler so far. It's nice being in touch with people, as the iPad goes ping! ping! announcing the arrival of the separate contributions. 

 

I thought today’s word was rather difficult. Alexander and I and old-friend-Mark needed five goes; Ketki and her son Thomas – playing separately – got it in four. This was another day when I might have failed altogether if I had not been stimulated by group-pressure.

 

It’s extraordinary that two commentors should have done it in two yesterday, Mr Shandy and Judy.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll be interested to hear how the crazy trios go. I did Strong Woman all through, base level, 15-and-a-half oz weights. I weighed the little weights that came, they are all just under 1lb but not a sensible number of grams either. Maybe a sneaky cost saving exercise like Mars bars getting smaller over time. I could do with Daniela's resolution to make sure I stick at it! Congratulations for getting round the garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the US they are called Flexi Flips. I wasn’t a fan, but many are. Glad to hear about the circumnabulation. It has been cold, rainy, windy and March at its worst here. Some daffodils are starting to show, though, so Spring must be coming, after all. Wordle in 4 for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a set of flexi-flips to knit Kate Davies' Berlinn Afghan squares. Starting at the center of the block magic loop wasn't flexible enough, and double points were too spiny. I still had the same problem as using double points... I lost one of the needles at the end of a round. I now have 5. I did like them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar9:39 AM

    The Flexi-/Crazy- needles sound intriguing but I am happy with dpns. It's been cold and rainy in MD, though a bit of sun peeked out this weekend. I wonder a little about your sore hip; muscle is one thing, bone is another. I find I must shift position frequently even in my favorite chair, or I get sore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will investigate the flexi/crazy trios as I love knitting socks, but have very little trouble with DPNs so I will probably not make the purchase.
    I really struggled with Wordle on Saturday and finally gave up. I had no green letters after 3 tries and only two that were in the word. When I opened my iPad this morning, there it was (to my surprise) waiting for completion. I thought it would go away at midnight, so you must get 24 hours starting when you type in your first word. I didn't know. I got it in 5. Whew.

    Glad you got around your garden with Daniela's persistence. Keep it up if you can.

    ReplyDelete