Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Fat Tuesday

 

It’s enough to persuade me there’s something in astrology (your comment yesterday, Tamar). The sun shone today, and Archie came and we got all the way around the garden where spring is bustin’ out all over. I finished knitting the front of the Aroon jacket and sewed the first side seam. I hope I can persuade myself to sew the second this evening, and perhaps even pick up sleeve stitches starting at one or other of the shoulders.

 

But things are no better in the Ukraine.

 

Strong Woman Stay Young arrived. Cully’s book will take longer because it’s coming from a third-party via Amazon. At a first glance it looks too tough for me. It starts off with a sit-to-stand which I used to do with my personal trainer before she moved to Orkney. You sit on a chair and then stand up, without using your hands to push. In those days I could do five in a row. I’m not sure I can do it even once, now. SWSY wants more than five. But maybe there’s a kindergarten level somewhere in the book for such as I.

 

My sister, in her nearly-mid 80’s, has exercised faithfully for decades and is a great advertisement for the practice.

 

I failed Wordle today. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow if I remember.

 

7 comments:

  1. I have the book Strong Women Stay Young, and for the past few years it has stayed safely on the shelf. I think I will get it out and try again!

    I got Wordle on the 6th try. It was a very hard word and I had to resort to the dictionary. Don't feel bad; it was sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got wordle on the last try. The old double letter trick. Sit to stand is critical to stay in one's home, even if you can only get one at first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks, all who recommended Strong Women Stay Young. (Such a wonderful blog, this, thank you over and over again, Jean, for bringing us together.) I've been feeling I needed more than my little 3-lb hand weights. The book aims rather higher (=heavier) for a 73-yr-old like me. I got wordle in 4 - benefit of all those Indian novelists having become so well know in the last 2-3 decades (and reading Kim in high school).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordle in 4 here. I dislike the sneaky doubling of letters like vivid several days ago. Luck was with me this morning.
    There is a nice series of exercises geared to seniors on You Tube called Senior Fitness with Meredith. She has a variety of exercises and video lengths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You start with what you can do, holding on if necessary and try to do a little more every time, gradually working up to the 2 sets of 8 without holding on. It takes time, but if you do it, your "stand up muscles" do get stronger

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Vivid" is the only Wordle I failed on completely. We enjoy working Quordle as a team; my husband is much better at anagrams than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:24 PM

    That book sounds great. Jean, maybe you can try the sit-to-stand exercise even without any success as a daily routine. Who knows, one day those muscles might spring into action. 'I've noticed myself for 10 years or so that I am much more limber in the warm months than the cold. An aspect of arthritis.? Or common to all. Still I walk throughout the winter, admittedly less so, but less is better than nothing. Chloe

    ReplyDelete