Wednesday, March 23, 2022

 

Another lovely spring day. Alexander came to see me, but we didn’t walk. That was feeble on my part. My hip was hurting quite a bit and it was pleasanter to sit with the sun coming in the window, and just talk. But I mustn’t go on like this.

 

Wordle in four – it went much like yesterday. My two starter words produced one green and two browns. I then entered a Jean-word (can’t-be-right) omitting one of my browns and including one already-excluded vowel. It came up trumps, with two more greens. So I then had two empty slots into one of which my cast-aside brown must fit. I tried it here, I tried it there, and went up and down the alphabet in vain. Then I found it, and it was right. That’s much preferable to the Wordles where there is one empty slot which could be filled with one of half a dozen letters.

 

Alexander has signed me up for something like a what’s app group in which he and Ketki and their children and a friend of long standing post their results daily. One of the many charms of Wordle is that you can share the grid recording your struggle and success or failure but giving nothing away because actual letters aren’t included. I hope I’ll be able to manage it by myself tomorrow.


Another of Wordle's many charms is that there is only one a day. Cat, what happens in the antipodes? Do you get yours 12 hours ahead of Europe, or 12 hours behind? I suspect that midnight is midnight for Wordle, whenever it occurs. 

 

Alexander says that the decision on the legwarmers is that they should recall Scotland’s victory in the Calcutta Cup in 2021 (not 2022). I agree, although it leaves me with more knitting to do, The Calcutta Cup was not like this 20 years ago. Wins were very rare, in those days.

 

I pressed on with the legwarmer ribbing. Now I must locate my scheme for the 2021 cup – as in the example above.

 

This week’s kimchi is effervescing effervescently:




 

One good thing about knitting socks on five needles is that if you go to see Rachel in London and lose one of them, you can go right on knitting. I suspect I should be knitting socks for Alexander.

4 comments:

  1. Ah - I think the answer to your question is that Wordle appears at the same time everywhere. I have visions of a little imp putting it together with a wicked grin and then heading off for a good night's sleep while the humans worry over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Gretchen's comment yesterday, I think it must depend on the brand. My favorites, Crystal Palace Bamboo, are sold in sets of 5, and it's a US company, so don't listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar12:45 AM

    I recall sets of four but then sets of five, so I think it may have changed at some point. I know I used to use four but five was so much more convenient for when taking a break - I could fold it flat at any time.

    Have you tracked the days when your hip is bothersome to changes in the weather? Sometimes our bones pick it up in advance.

    Rainy here. I was up late and slept late, so it didn't prevent me from doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made kimchi yesterday for the first time. I had a chinese cabbage from my garden just the right size for a small batch.
    When midnight hits your time zone so does wordle.

    ReplyDelete